Recent research has proved that stevia plant can be beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions. Stevia is believed to have anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-microbial, anti-oxidant, anti-glycemic, and anti-hypertensive properties which may help with hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes, chronic fatigue, indigestion, upset stomach, heartburn, weight loss, cold and flu, gingivitis, tooth decay, cavities, dandruff and hair loss, brittle bones or osteoporosis, streptococcus, candidacies, bacterial infections and skin conditions such as cuts, wounds, rashes, itchiness, blemishes, acne, seborrhoeic dermatitis, dermatitis, eczema, and wrinkles. It may also improve energy levels, strengthen immune system, stimulate mental activity, and may also help in quitting the habit tobacco and alcohol.
Uses of Stevia –
- Dandruff and hair health - Stevia concentrate is believed to be beneficial for dandruff, dry scalp, and dull, dry and thin hair. People have noticed stronger, dandruff-free and rejuvenated hair after the usage of stevia. But to have best results regular use of stevia. For better results simply mix 3-4 drops of stevia concentrate into your regular shampoo and wash as normal. Also, after shampooing, using stevia tea as a conditioner and rinsing it out after 5 minutes can help in retaining natural hair color and strength.
- Gingivitis - Study shows that antibacterial properties of stevia plants may help in overcoming gingivitis, cavities, tooth decay and mouth sores. It may suppress the development and reproduction of infectious organisms in the gums and teeth, prevent the growth of plaque and may improve overall oral health. People who have used stevia as a mouthwash have experienced significant decrease in gingivitis and other mouth infections. Simply gargling with Stevia mouthwash and brushing with Stevia added toothpaste may be beneficial. To make Stevia mouthwash, add 3-4 drops of stevia extract in half a cup of lukewarm water or steep half a cup of tea with its leaves or teabag and gargle three to four times daily especially in the morning and at night. For toothpaste, mix 2 drops of stevia extract to the regular toothpaste.
- Heartburn and Indigestion - People in different part of the world such as Brazil, Paraguay and Bolivia have been using Stevia tea to soothe upset stomach, heartburn, and to improve indigestion and gastrointestinal function. Drinking Stevia tea after every meal may serve as a digestive aid and relieve heartburn and stomach pain.
- Wrinkles and other skin problems - Stevia is believed to be a remarkable healing agent for skin disorders. Due to its antioxidant, antibacterial and antiseptic activity may help with wrinkles, skin blemishes, dermatitis, eczema, acne outbreaks, scarring, rashes, itchiness and chapped lips. A small amount of Stevia concentrate applied directly onto the affected skin may promote the healing process and can freshen up the skin.
- Weight Loss - Recent medical research have proved that low at carbohydrates, calories and sugar stevia may be beneficial in weight management. It is the least harmful herb used for management of weight. It is suggested to drink one cup of stevia tea or mix 10-15 drops of stevia concentrate in one cup of cold or warm water. And for best results drink it 15 minutes before every meal.